After trying many pumpkin oatmeal recipes, this one is a huge hit over here. Crew asks for it every morning and I am getting a bit pumpkined out! It is a quick and easy recipe and can also be made in the slow cooker.
- 1 cup skim or nonfat milk
- 2 Tbls. light or dark brown sugar (any sweetener you wish to your taste or non at all!)
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats or steel cut
* Optional – 2 tsps. natural peanut butter, dried fruit or nuts
Crew loves peanut butter in it and Goose would rather not have it so I just add it to his individual bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and cinnamon. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. (Crew and Goose like an extra splash of milk added to make it a bit runnier.) Stir in peanut butter if using.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowls, and sprinkle with dried fruit and nuts if you would like.
* This is a tweaked version of the oatmeal recipe in Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld! Deceptively Delicious
Try it and let us know what you think or share your recipe!