Mmmmmm…..the smell of fresh bread! I usually time my weekly loaf of bread to come out at lunch time. There is nothing better than a PB&J on this warm bread =) with a glass of milk.
I have experimented with so many recipes for a whole wheat sandwich bread that would come out just right. Now, just right for each of us is different but this one is pretty close for us. I have not changed up this recipe for a while now. So, I guess we are pretty happy with it. We use this bread for toast, sandwiches (mostly grilled), French toast…..pretty much anything.
Here is the recipe with a disclaimer I use this recipe at above 6,000 feet so you may need to adjust water and/or yeast.
Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- 4 cups Whole Wheat Bread Flour (a hard red wheat is best for bread)
- 1 cup Oats
- 2 Tbls Ground Flax (optional)
- 2 cups Warm Water
- 2 tsps. Yeast
- 1/4 cup Honey (raw, unfiltered & local is best)
- 2 tsps. Fine Sea Salt
- 3 Tbls Olive Oil
- Warm water and add yeast and honey in a glass cup or bowl and let sit for 3-5 min until frothy.
- In bread pan, add Sea Salt and Olive Oil
- Next, add water, yeast and honey mixture into bread pan.
- Add WW Flour, Oats and Flax if using
- Close bread machine and set for (depending on your bread machine options) 2 lb. loaf, Whole Wheat with light crust.
That’s it! Please do share any yummy, successful bread recipes your family enjoys.