Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Must Share Veggie & Sausage Quiche

When one says eggs, most people think breakfast.  Well, I was not prepared for my week to say the least.  With sickness in the house, it threw everything off schedule including my grocery shopping trip.  So it is 5pm and I am going from the refrigerator to the pantry with a blank stare.  Ahhhh!!! What’s for dinner????  Well, breakfast for dinner of course because it’s quick and easy.  I ran across a recipe I thought I would try and now I MUST share.  This was a hit!  The original recipe can be found here Mini Mushroom & Sausage Quiches  Yes, I changed the name because I think you could throw in many different kinds of veggies =)
image
Makes 1 dozen mini quiches
Ingredients
  • organic (local if poss) bacon or sausage 
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup sliced scallions
  • 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I used Monterey Jack, but whatever you have!)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 8 eggs (local farm fresh if possible)
  • 1 cup organic whole milk
* I really think you could add many other types of veggies.  Spinach sounds great!
On the Side
  • 1 Avocado (Optional on the side)
  • 2 Mangos or any kind of fruit (Optional on the side)
Preparation
  1. Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray (see Tip).
  2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
  3. Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
  4. Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.
Tips & Notes
  • Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
  • A good-quality nonstick muffin tin works best for this recipe. If you don't have one, line a regular muffin tin with foil baking cups.
Crew and Goose always think it is so fun to have breakfast for dinner.  Goose devoured 3 of these muffin sized quiches and Crew says it’s a “Do Over”!  I love finding great new recipes to mix things up.
I plan on making a batch for breakfast tomorrow and freezing some for the week. 
Please, please share your favorite family recipe!
Brigit

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I will make them! Thanks for the recipe!